Wednesday, July 14, 2010

One Giant Leap For Cyber Space?

So, what have the geniuses at NASA been up too lately? Prepare to be amazed!

First, a question:

Is NASA ever going back to the Moon?
I'm not about to start a political debate. So I'll get  straight to the point.

NASA has already been back to the Moon.

That's right, I'm not kidding you.

(And no I'm not talking about the Moon that would would witness if I pulled my pants down.)

Introducing NASA's brand new video game, (yes, I said video game) Moonbase Alpha. It's the latest in human innovation.

(See -- I was telling you the truth, they have been back to the Moon, just in cyber space!)

So What's The Game About?
"In Moonbase Alpha, you assume the exciting role of an astronaut working to further human expansion and research. Returning from a research expedition, you witness a meteorite impact that cripples the life support capability of the settlement. With precious minutes ticking away, you and your team must repair and replace equipment in order to restore the oxygen production to the settlement," said NASA.



Where's Neil Armstrong when you need him?

Oh, wait, here he is:
 "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

Thank you, Neil, for those amazing words.

The Conclusion
The game is available for free. So, that's some good news. The bad news is that I don't think the whole world is going to be glued to the television waiting for you to land on the Moon in cyber space. You can play with up to 6 players on each team. The game has a single player mode and internet multilayer mode. Hey, exploring the Moon in cyber space with internet buds might be pretty fun. I just might have to give this game a try.

Go check it out for yourself and look at the screenshots - moonbasealphagame.com


Is this something NASA should be putting resources into? Would you even play the game?